Call for Proposals for a history of SickKids
The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids), in partnership with the University of Toronto Press (UTP), invites interested historians and other experienced authors to submit a proposal for a comprehensive history of SickKids.
SickKids is one of the world’s largest and most respected children’s hospitals which dates back to 1875. Its story is a blend of clinical excellence, leadership in research and discovery combined with an ongoing commitment to education and learning. At the root of these accomplishments is SickKids’ vision of improving the health of children. The role SickKids has played in children’s’ health extends beyond its walls on University Avenue to the City of Toronto, the Province of Ontario, Canada and internationally.
Our goal is to have a finished manuscript by 2014 with publication in 2015. The Publisher envisions a manuscript of approximately 175,000 words accompanied by photographs and other illustrative material.
An editorial board consisting of senior staff from SickKids and UTP has been established to consider proposals.
Submissions are being accepted up until midnight January 15, 2012
Proposals should include the following:
• A current curriculum vitae, including a list of previous publications;
• A detailed outline of the proposed book which should include the following: a short summary (including the approach— i.e., thematic or chronological); a tentative table of contents including chapter summaries; a discussion of similar or related books; the role of photographs and illustrations; and any other relevant information;
• The intended audience for the book;
• Research plan;
• A complete multi-year budget, including research and other costs;
• A proposed timeline with project milestones;
• An estimated word count.
The author/researcher will have access to the archives at SickKids.
Interested parties should submit their proposals through email to [email protected] with the subject line: History of Sick Kids.
Additional information on this project can be found at: www.utppublishing.com/historysickkids.
Please direct any specific questions regarding this call for proposal to Len Husband, Acquisitions Editor at [email protected] or 416-978-2239, ext. 238.